Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Generac 7500

In article . com,
wrote:

...... I have an ohmmeter and can read it, I just don't know where
I'd attach it to get the readings. In the process of replacing the
voltage regulator I unscrewed the brushes assembly for access to attach
2 wires from the voltage regulator, and I think I seated the brushed
right. I will check this tomorrow, Monday. Thank you all.

One thing I forgot to mention, was that your symptoms might be caused by
having the Idle Control Switch turned ON. With no load, the engine goes
to a lower RPM, perhaps equivalent to 40 Hz, and voltage goes down
somewhat.

Do you have capability to measure frequency or RPM? The generator
probably runs at 3600 RPM to produce 60 Hz. (Some run at 1800, but I
don't think yours does.)

A problem measuring resistance of generator windings, is that the
resistance is so low that meter leads and their contact resistance can be
a higher value than the winding being measured!

The brushes ride on slip rings, which are connected to the rotating field
winding. You can measure field resistance by disconnecting the regulator
and measuring across the brushes. If resistance is too high, it could be
a problem with the brushes as well as the winding. With the brush
assembly unscrewed, you may be able to probe the slip rings directly.

The main winding connects via circuit breakers to the electrical outlets.
A 240 Volt outlet will have connections to the three main wires
(120-0-120). I don't know how much influence the breakers would have on
the measurements.

The excitation (DPE) winding connects to the regulator module as I recall.

Fred