Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Digging a hole in frozen ground

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:31:59 -0500, DIMwit wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 07:03:53 -0500, DIMwit wrote:
why can't you just pour boiling water on the ground so soften it up?
It's
easier to heat up a big pot of water on a barbeque outside the barn, and
the
water will work quickly working its way down, I think.

No problem, but it gets expensive heating 100 gallons of boiling water
at
a time and nothing less will have any effect.

Why so you think you would need 100 gallons? I think about 5 gallons of
hot
water for each hole would be enough. Like other posters have said, how
deep
could the soil possibly be frozen this early in the Winter? Do you live in
Alaska? If you do, I guess it would be real deep :-)

5 gallons won't even soften the top half inch.

Got any of the sheet tin left, or something similarly heat proof? Prop up 4
walls and a lid, (like a deer blind or fishing shanty) and run the output
from a construction heater into that confined space. Local rentall place
probably has them. The rental and the fuel cost will be unpleasant, but you
probably only need it for a day or two.

aem sends...