Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe 46erjoe is offline

Default Furnace safety switch question

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:08:15 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrotF:

You do want an emergency switch for the furnace. It may be possible that
another switch was installed at a different location? There should be one on
or at the furnace and another outside of a room that the furnace is enclosed
in or if it's in an open basement, you may find one at an entrance to the
basement. If it needs to be connected , you can break into the circuit at
the disconnect that's near the furnace. It should be connected in series
with the other switch, so both must be on to power the furnace

There is a switch a few feet from the furnace, right at the power
entry point. Aside from that, there is no other switch.

Again, I find it hard that this would be overlooked, especially if
somebody took the time to write on the wire what it was for.

Hmmmm

"46erjoe" wrote in message
.. .
I just bought a new home in NE Pa. It's about 4 years old. Just inside
the kitchen coming in from the door of the attached garage is an
on/off switch with a bright red cover plate. I'm assuming it's the
safety switch for the furnace to turn it off in an emergency. The
furnace is gas/ho****er.

When the furnace is running and I flip the switch, nothing happens.
The furnace keeps running. I checked in the basement and just below
where the switchplate is located, exiting from the corner of the base
stud plate is about 10 feet of coiled 14/2 wire just hanging there. On
it in ink is written "furn safety". But it's not connected to
anything.

Was this an oversight on the part of the builder/electrician? Or did
it suddenly become a non-code item? I find it hard to believe than an
inspector would miss it.

If this must be hooked up, how do I go about doing it? Just finish the
run to the power near the furnace and splice it in so that power runs
to the furnace only when the switch is turned on and the circuit is
complete?

Or just forget the whole thing?

Thanks.