Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default Motorcycle float valve

mm wrote:
"Duperman" wrote
Gas leaks out of the muffler when the mower sits for a while. The motor
is a Lawn Boy 2 cycle about 15 years old. How do I prevent this?

Thanks

float is stuck or bad

This is what I figured, but in a motorcycle group, someone was told
that if the petcock wasn't closed, gas would go through the carb and
get into the oil when the engine wasn't running. Why wouldn't the
float valve be as good in a motorcycle as in a car or lawnmower?

Andy writes:
It is. However , the float valve is a simple thing that is
susceptible to
a hair or piece of dust causing a slight leak.... In older motorcycles,
like a Honda 160, cleaning the float valve was trivial. It is more
complicated now, I think , because the carbs have a lot more pieces...

That being said, if the valve leaks JUST A LITTLE, the fix was to
always turn off the stopcock under the fuel tank. That gets to be a
habit
after it floods the engine the first time. And a good habit.....

So, you need to get the float valve cleaned out, and then get into
the habit of closing the stopcock in preparation for the time in the
future when you go to start the engine and it is flooded. The problem
doesn't usually happen when the engine is running because the
fuel consumption is greater than the leak....

Andy in Eureka, Texas