Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Digging a hole in frozen ground

In article ,
wrote:

I got my new barn all closed in just before our heavy freeze took
over. But I still need to put 3 posts in the ground INSIDE the barn.
The soil in there is fairly dry on the top so I am hoping its not
frozen too solid or deep yet. But I did find the shovel was hard to
penetrate it yesterday. It was really too cold to proceed with the
job anyhow.

Forget all the hoses, charcoal, hot water, tactical nukes, yadda, yadda...

Get a medium-sized cardboard box or wash tub. Place a 40-60-watt light bulb
on the spot to be defrosted and cover it with the box/tub for a day or two.
The frost, however deep, will be gone. Nuttin' to it.

As for frost in "the lower 48" - we have it here for sure. I live (and dig)
in Nebraska where the frost is often deeper than 2-1/2 feet. "Running" a
frost bar is WAAAAY too much work. Good luck!
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel