Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] lpedron@gmail.com is offline

Default GFCI trip for no obvious reason

Hello,

I'm having a problem with a GFCI outlet faulting for no "good" reason.
The run extends from the garage down beside the drive way, buried about
8" depth to a light fixture on a brick column near the street. The
wire was 10 wire approved for direct burial. On the column are two
boxes, one for an electronic eye ( dusk to dawn switch ) and the other
is an outlet with a protective cover. I checked both boxes to make
sure they are waterproof and not leaking. If I unwire the run that
goes to this light, then I never get a GFCI fault. This same
configuration is also in use on the other side of the drive, and has
zero problems with faulting.

The only "thing" that I can think of is that somehow this wire that was
approved for direct burial is somehow causing the problem. Perhaps
there is a nick in the wire insulation that is causing the fault.
It's most strange because sometime I'm troubleshoot the problem and be
fault free for several hours. Then, other times, it will fault within
10 minutes. Both on the same sunny afternooon.

Any ideas??

Thanks,