Ken Cutt

Default 2nd day of Metal working class...grinding cutting tools

DejaVU wrote:
jim rozen scribed in
:

The *real* problem with star dressers (or nearly any kind
for that matter) is that there's a huge amount of abrasive
debris flung off. A real shop can afford to have a
grinder room to keep this apart from the other machines,
a home shop seldom has that luxury. My bench grinder is
tucked as far away from my other machines as possible.

I plan to fit a vacuum hose the the rear of the wheel guard when I
finally decide where to mount my grinder, to solve this very issue of
dust everywhere. my shop is much too small to think that the dust
does not go near the lathe, but at least with the grinder just about
on the floor as it is at the moment, the dust has to WORK to get UP
onto the lathe.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth

Hi David
Yep fitted a vac to the rear of my grinder and promptly melted the
plastic connetor . Vac works fine but if I started out with metal
fittings I would only have had to build it once .
Ken Cutt