Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan Karley Aidan Karley is offline

Default Battery charger mains socket

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I was considering fitting one permanently to
the old Rover, and having a mains inlet point somewhere on the outside of
the car. The question is what would be a suitable weatherproof connector
for this as the car lives outside? About IEC size would be ideal.

For maintaining the charge on the various equipment in our lifeboats
at work, we feed them through one of the 120V outdoor trailing-socket type
connectors which have the additional benefit that they'll uncouple as you
lower the lifeboat without the coxswain having to remember (assuming that
the cox was still alive to make it to the lifeboat). You do need to break
or disable the cover on the plug end which mates with the trailing socket
to latch the two together. But you'll do that the first time you drive off
without remembering to disconnect the power unit.
You can get comparable trailing (and panel, come to think of it)
plugs and sockets for 240V. They're blue, not yellow. The two different
voltages won't mate without hammer, chisel and lobotomy.
Can't find pictures on B&Q or Maplin's websites. Can't be bothered
looking further. They're easy to find.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland