Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Running cable across doorway??

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 08:35:43 -0500, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 02:10:23 -0500, "Steve" wrote:

Yes, I've been told that the tiles are probably asbestos. I only removed
what is in the way. I used a spackle knife and pryed them up. They came up
pretty easily.

IMHO:

I'm not an asbestos expert, and don't suggest working with asbestos
yourself. However, if these tiles are 'safe' or you can be 'safe' I
recommend a hot air gun. You might find the tiles come up so easy,
you might remove them all.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

I don't see the ceiling is an option here.

wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
ng.com...
I'm having my basement re-carpeted. I have a doorway that I currently
have 1 speaker wire and 2 CATV cables running across. The old carpet had
padding so I just cut a channel into the padding and ran a 1/4" x 1-1/4"
cable protector across the doorway. The new carpet will be glued down
with no padding. The other room will not be carpeted yet. What would be
the best way to get the cable across the door? Right now the installers
plan to use a raised molding that I put the cable inside. The problem
with that is that I still have to get the cable to the inside of the
doorway (we currently don't use a door here. I was thinking about
cutting a channel into the concrete floor and either use a conduit or the
cable protector. I have pictures of the doorway he
http://www.sjfphoto.com/newcarpet/

Cutting concrete, vs. extending the cables enough to run them in ceiling
where they should have been in the first place? Snaking through drywall,
or even slicing/patching a stud cavity, is much easier than breaking the
floor. If the walls a masonry or clay tile, just hide the cable risers in
a shelf unit.

BTW, assuming that is a 2'-6" door, that looks like 9" tile. With that
size and that color pattern, it is quite possibly of a vintage likely to
have asbestos in it. Late 50s- early 60s, right?

aem sends...

Here we go again......
Asbestos in tile is NOT dangerous unless you sand or grind them.
The asbestos particles are embedded in the tile and wont get into your
lungs.

As far as running that cable, go thru the wall or find another route.
Chiselling out concrete, etc. is reduculous.
Another option would be to get some Wiremold channel, attach that to
the wall, and run it thru that. You can paint the channel to match
the walls. One other thing that oculd be used is those rubber floor
strips they use in offices to run computer cables. It just sticks to
the floor and the cables are under it.