Chris Melluish

Default Fence panel sizes

"Mike Atkinson {reply address in .sig}" wrote in
message ...
Can anyone tell me if the standard 6' fence panels are actual size, or
nominal (I.e. some allowance for post thickness)? I guess I could answer
this by taking a tape measure down to B&Q, but this group has not yet
let me down!

I ask as I need to replace a fence which is about to collapse due to the
fence posts having rotted through. These posts are (were) located in
metal pegs, which I'd hoped to re-use, leaving them in their current
locations. However, measuring the existing panels reveals these to be
between 179 and 180 cm, about 71". Once panel is only about 4' long, so
I'd have to cut one panel, but I'd rather not have to do the lot!

The other alternative is nail feather edge boards up individually to
arris (sp?) rails. Or closeboard panels - are these nailed to rails, or
do these also fit inbetween posts? I'm somewhat loathe to follow these
options, as they're more costly, and we don't intend to be in our
current house for more than another year.

Many thanks for any response,
Mike.

--
Dr. Michael Atkinson, GeoQuest Simulation Software Development
Note that email address in the headers is cleared monthly and NOT read.

I had exactly this problem a couple of years ago.

It was very easy to cut down 6' panels to fit - just move the vertical rails
at one end in the required amount, and cut off the excess. Took about five
minutes per panel once I got the hang of it.

--
Chris Melluish