Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron Baron is offline

Default PC power supply problem

wrote:

Hi,

My PC went dead (no display, but the CPU fan spins). Looking at this,
I naturally suspected the motherboard, but then I found the system
works fine with another poer supply.

Funny thing is, the defective(?) power supply seems to give all the
voltages all right, but just doesnt start up the system.

Could this be a 'power good' signal issue? If it is can it be tested?

Another pointer: earlier, the CPU fan would initialise only after
pressing the soft-on power supply switch on the mobo. Now, it starts
the moment the system is powered up. On the other hand, if no load is
connected to the PS, it seemingly behaves exactly as it should; off
till soft switch pressed (green wire connected to ground).

Before buying another supply, I'm wondering if there is anybody has
seen this specific problem, and managed to fix it?

Thanks and Regards,

Anand

Just replace the PSU and quit worrying about it. PSU die and go bad
regularly. Be thankful it didn't go bang and take out the mainboard
along with other stuff !

--
Baron: