Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default CLEANING WOOD FLOOR

RonB wrote:
We revitalized an Oak floor that had spent years under a carpet. The house
was a rental we owned while our son was in college and we were trying to
hold cost down. We used a retail-variety wood floor cleaner. As I recall
it was made by Johnson's. It mixed with water and required a couple of
vigorous hands and knees scrubbings to get it clean. I don't know what was
in the solution but it smelled vaguely of ammonia and did a pretty good job
because we were scrubbing some carpet pad remains as well as dirt.

snip

Most hardwood flooring places do not recommend using ammonia based
cleaning products (example):

"Straight ammonia or ammonia-based cleaning products should not be used
on hardwood floors because they will dull the finish and possibly cause
discoloration of the wood. Wet mopping with a liquid soap detergent or
using abrasive cleaners is also not recommended because either one has
the potential to strip the finish or cause it to deteriorate prematurely."

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Home-...ood-Floors.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA