Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Battery charger shorts out?

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Without smoothing capacitors (or a battery) it's not DC, though, it's
full-wave rectified AC...

Hmm! I haven't seen a battery charger with a reservoir capacitor, a
smoothing capacitor, a choke, or series resistor; yet such chargers are
DC _in practice_, if not in theory. Thanks for reminding me about
capacitors; in a conventional power supply they would raise the output
voltage (not applicable in a basic battery charger).

The battery acts as a vast capacitor, though.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.