Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default No electric power gas furnace

testing your gas oven for a power failu
hold a flame to the oven safety pilot while calling for heat at the
oven control. if it lights, run it at 200 degrees with oven door closed
while you watch the pilot and burner from the lower broiler door. if it
cycles and keeps its pilot lit until you turn it off you win.
remember the main may have a 45-60 second delay after pilot is first
lit.

Big Al wrote:
"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
look at grainger and johnstone supply for direct vented gas wall
heaters and look for the millivolt thermostat ones with no cfm listed,
with no electric blower on them.
as we learned again in a 9 day electrical power failure in buffalo ny
october 2006:

So far, I've found millivolt thermostats, gas valves, all kinds of controls,
and the thermopiles but no complete furnace. Guess a guy could just convert
any furnace if it can gravity feed.

My "new" old house (circa 1949) has a double wall gas heater. It uses a
mechanical thermostat built right in the gas valve. No electricity needed.
The old timers were smarter than we are

Interesting what you said about gas ranges. Don't think the oven will work
in my new one without electric. Need to try it. Never thought of that.

Al