Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default sony STR-D965 blown R channel

Mike wrote:
it has to be the STK.

because the output looks normal on no-load condition, however, the
base drive to both transistors is clipped on the bottom of the
waveform.
load and no load. its clipped. the other channel is fine signal.

So, the chip most likely. because all the resistors and capacitors
test fine. same with the 2 current limiting/bias transistors. it also
tests fine.
STK is last.

"Mike" wrote in message
Ok the front panel was dead, had 2 fuses blown, and the MN2488 and
MP1620 was shorted in the right channel. the rest was fine.

Well, i replaced both fuses, replaced both outputs and the 2 10ohm
base resistors. I checked every other resistors and found things to
be normal. i replaced a high ESR 47uf cap also.

there was a small PNP transistor near the 2 outputs that was shorted
also, replaced that.

The set now turns on and works, except as soon as I hook a speaker
up to the right channel output, it goes into protector. i checked
and double checked the resistors in the output circuit. If i leave
the speaker unhooked, its fine. there is NO DC offset according to
me meter on the right channel. if i set the meter on AC, I can see
the AC signal on the meter, and on my scope just normal. if i hook
the speaker up to the right channel, it fires protector mode. the
other channels work fine. any ideas?

I suspect you've missed a bad resistor...

Mark Z.