Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
David Taylor David Taylor is offline

Default Battery charger shorts out?

On 2006-12-03, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

"redwood" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
I've not yet tried it connected to a battery but it now powers on
without clicking and connecting a DVM to the croc clips shows around
12.06v or 6.02 on the 6 volt setting. I shall give it a test on a
battery tomorrow.

Is your meter reasonably accurate?
These voltage readings seem rather low.

I think the battery charger voltage increases when connected to a
battery, I will check it out tomorrow. cheers.

I'm afraid not. With an unregulated supply, the voltage will drop when
connected to a load. It would be interesting to know what the transformer
voltage (AC) is with the rectifier disconnected. Those people more
knowledgeable than myself should be able to work out the expected DC
voltages (2 diodes in series dropping 1.5 VDC each ?). This would also check
whether the rectifier is correctly connected.

Without smoothing capacitors (or a battery) it's not DC, though, it's
full-wave rectified AC...

--
David Taylor