Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommended glue for shoes

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Fred wrote:

A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees ********.

Many thanks - are there any trade-names I should be going for. Where do
you think I'll be able to get this?

Evostik Serious glue. Seen some two part stuff recently in the sheds too.

I tried this stuff on leather, and from that experience I wouldnt give
it a hope in hell of holding shoes together. You really need the hot
pressed stuff the pros use as a minimum, and even that doesnt last well
in the long run. Its not really a diy job, I'd either take it to the
cobbler or preferably chuck them.

Oh? I have had pretty good results from various smelly gooops..UHU do
some brands.

Puncture repair stuff works at a pinch.

What whiffy goops have you been using? I suppose it does also depend
whether one is gluing leather to leather or whether synthetics are
involved.

Dunno..I think one was UHU..at least..pretty much similar to an Evostik
of the solvent sort.

The trick with those is to not let them dry completely before you
clamp..then the glue moves a bit and fills the gaps..

ok cheers, I'll try again next time, maybe will get somewhere.

NT