Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Porch joists query on ledgerboards

On 2006-12-03, marson wrote:

typically, deck ledgers are lagged.

Indeed, I found section 1604.8.3 of the 2006 UBC, which states:

1604.8.3 Decks. Where supported by attachment to an exterior wall,
decks shall be positively anchored to the primary structure and
designed for both vertial and lateral loads as applicable. Such
attachment shall not be accomplished by the use of toenails or nails
subject to withdrawal. . . .

i like the fastenmaster ledgerlok

Thanks for the suggestion. Their flyer nicely quotes the NDS 2001
design values for 16d, 20d and 40d nails and 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2"
lags. Of course, assuming there may be a lateral load on the ledger,
using nails is out by the above requirement.

if you set the joists on a ledger, you will need to block between
the joists to prevent them from rolling over.

Obviously this is out now, because of the prohibition on toenails, but
that issue aside, if the joists are attached to the ledger at the
bottom and 3/4" T&G boards at the top, isn't that sufficient to
prevent rolling over?

Cheers, Wayne

3/4" deck boards are kinda thin even for 16" oc joists........a heavy
persons foot fall will flex them a fair amount.

I usually do a "reasonable" test before I settle on a design (unless
calcs or experience tell me things will perform)

Also T&G (IMO) is not a good choice. for deck boards

I'd use 2x material & allow side gap & end gaps such that water &
debris can easily clear / dry.

cheers
Bob