Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Porch joists query on ledgerboards

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Hello,

I am rebuilding the covered front porch deck and joist system on my
raised floor wood frame house. The new joists will be installed
between two sheathed walls, so I'll be using a ledger board on each
side. The span is only 6', so I'll be using 2x6s 24" o.c. A couple
questions on the ledgerboards:

1) Would 3 20d nails per stud 16" o.c. be sufficient to hold the
ledger board to the cripple wall, or should I use lag screws? If
lag screws, what size and spacing?

2) It seems like it would be simplest to set the ledger board just
below the bottom of the joists and just let the joists bear on the
top of the ledgerboard. Then I would toenail the joists to the
ledger. The alternative would be to use joist hangers and set the
ledgerboard at the same height as the joists. What are the pros
and cons of each method?

Thanks, Wayne

Wayne-

I'd use 1/2" lags ......one per stud just make sure you hit them.

I'd also agree with Marson...joist hangers are probably faster & easier
than toenailing & blocking.

Pro....less headroom used up with joist hangers Only an issue where
impostant) , no blocking to cut / install

Con...cost of hanges in installation hardware....I use SS square drive
screws

I think I'd but the joists closer than 24" o/c...more like 16"

24" o/c might allow the deck boards too much flex for human perception
of "sturdiness"

cheers
Bob