Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Hot/Ground Reversed sockets

"Jeffrey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello everyone. Just had a quick question. Our house is only 2 years
old and up until a couple motnhs ago everything seemed to work fine as
far as electricity is concerned. Mysteriously, in our bedroom, 3
sockets stopped working. It was not a breaker, nor a GFCI, etc....Just
these three. Over at home depot I picked up a little tester with the 3
lights that tells what is wrong supposedly. In two of the 3 I got
Hot/Ground Reverse and in one I got Open Neutral. So, in my thinking I
could just open up the sockets and switch the hot ground on the 2 and
then connect the presumed detached neutral on the other. But there has
got to be a reason this happened on 3 at the same time. Is there anyone
out there who can point me in the right direction?

You can't suddenly have a hot/ground reversed! A wire must have come lose
or one of the outlets is defective. Open them up and have a look at them;
it is probably the open neutral one. Having a voltmeter to test the various
wires would be helpful if nothing is obvious.