Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default LED Nite Lite

You're answer is actually quite a bit simpler than you expect.

You wrote this, so I am assuming you were using a computer (rather than
some hereto-unknown super-hero power) so you should have a battery
backup. They are much better and safer than you surge protector. So
go get an oversized one (if there is such a thing) and plug your
computer into it and forget about it. When your power goes out, your
computer safely shuts down, you can turn it one (and your modem) for
info over the internet, and you can plug your low-voltage light into
it. Oh, and your cordless phone.

http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&subid=5

Some have pretty good run-times. Days, no. Fairly long, yes. YRMV.
http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_...m?upsfamily=23
I'll let someone else do the math as to how long it will run under
various circumstances.

My OLD backup (ES 725) lasted 16 minutes and 22 seconds yesterday when
our power went out. High winds in upstate NY. Our power was out for
about 15 hours. The 16 min. included computer, 2 monitors, 2 printers,
and phone. I was not hope at the time, so it then shut the system down
(instead of just letting it crash). Then it had 7 minutes of juice
left (I set it that way).

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Last night, the wind blew. The storm howled. And the little bulb in my
night light blew. Well, this isn't a big deal, go get another bulb. I
decided to leave it for the next day. And eventually the daylight
came, and all was good.

But it got me thinking. What to do in case of a long term power cut?
The flash light on the night table is OK, but it's a lot easier to see
with a night light.

You'd think, wouldn't yah, that someone else had this same problem?

I'd like a light that runs for five or six days on a set of batteries.
Turned off daytime, of course. It should have about as much light as a
7 watt night light. And it should be a pleasant, wide light not a
penlight that shines a spot on the far wall.

I've never seen 3-D holders at Radio Shack, but maybe I can build
something. And maybe an LED out of a Photon light, that has a wide
spread light. And open wires, I can make something work.

But, is anything out there made for night light use?