Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Is it worth a career change?

On 1 Dec 2006 09:54:42 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

I'm in my early 50's and have been a programmer, designer, and manger
of same for almost 30 years. I feel it's time for a change but still
have to pay a mortgage and 3 kids in college.

I'd love to open a Woodcrat store. Does anyone have any idea how much I
could take home? I know it depends on location, location, location, and
other things like the qulaity of help, etc. But are we talking $40K and
that's a struggle or $400K? What should be my expectations?

Without an excellent location you may be in serious trouble starting a
store. Plus, you will work 60+ hours a week. I'd definitely shop
more at the nearest Woodcraft store if it wasn't so far away. I buy
90% of my needs online, except for wood which I get free or make a
purchase twice a year. Gasoline costs are just too high to drive my
truck long distances and I don't expect that to change much.