Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

Default Polyurethane Orange Peel? Puddling?

We use water based finishes almost exclusively in our shop. So this is based
on my experience and what I see in your pictures.

I think you are getting an oil/water reaction to oil left in the wood. You
are going to have to completely remove the new finish. Then finish sand and
apply a coat of shellac. You can then proceed with your water based finish.
The shellac should be a good buffer between the two. Try a test piece first
to see if shellac and your water based are compatible.

cm

"TC" wrote in message
I have a coffee table I sanded to bare wood. I applied water-based poly
with a brush. I get these puddles or orange peel looking "things" (see
links. I figure it might be the brush so I switch to a foam brush -
same result (yes, I sanded first).

Curious though, the sides are nice and smooth as I expected.

I diluted the poly about 10%. Am I putting it on too thick? What's
happening? The wood was smooth before applying. The poly is new. How
can I salvage what I have done?

http://home.cfl.rr.com/jmartin104/table.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jmartin104/table2.jpg