Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very thin interior wall

Anna Kettle wrote:
I have allocated a space for a shower-loo-sink room but what I'd
_really_ like is to squeeze a separate loo-sink into the space as
well. After lots of entertainment as I drew the layout on a large
sheet of white paper and walked around to make sure that there is
enough space to fit it all in, the answer is yes it will fit ...

... if I make the wall between the shower-loo-sink and the loo-sink
out of something much thinner than a normal stud wall. I'm thinking of
using 22mm blockboard faced with 9mm plasterboard on one side and
faced with a wall of the shower on the other side.

I'd use either 19mm ply or MDF. Both make reasonable small walls. MDF
needs no surface treatment..juts caulk where it meets stuff (leave a
little gap) as it shrinks a tad eventually. Then paint with emulsion
straight. Sand after first coat. Tile straight onto it.

I'm planning for the shower to be "Steam cabin" Screwfix 83798 so the
shower wall will be a sheet of plastic

Two questions ...

- Has anyone used one of these steam cabins or seen them in the sheds?
Are they the bees knees or a heap of tat?

- Will the blockboard/plasterboard wall be good and rigid and will it
be at least reasonable for sound dampening? The wall is only 1.3m
long. Would some other material like plywood be better? Comments
please

Sound rejection of any solid thin wall will not be great. My guess is
20-30dB versus 50-60 for a proper stud..
Anna