Backlash

Default 2nd day of Metal working class...grinding cutting tools

Hello group. My name is RJ, and I still use a lantern toolpost and
hand-ground tool bits. I have taken the 12 step approach, but I still need a
sponsor.

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

Not thin disks. Narrow tools, just like a commercial parting tool,

but
made from various sizes of HSS tool steel. I grind them from 3/8" and

1/2"
square mostly. 1/4" X 1/2" saves a lot of grinding time but limits

your
ability to place the tool where you might like it in your tool block.

prefer the square ones. When you grind the tools, they are usually

right
handed, so they cut near the chuck.

An example is shown in the photo below, it's the one coming
right out at the viewer. Kinda looks tilted off to one side
but it really is straight out. The side relief makes it
look a bit twisted.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Tp3.jpg

Jim

Very nice, Jim.
One comment: I always grind my tools RH so I'm not restricted when near
the chuck. Not usually important for grooving tools, but almost mandatory
for parting.

For those that aren't grinding their own tools, you can grind almost
anything that suits your fancy if you learn to grind proper toolbits.
Especially for guys like us, it makes absolutely no sense to load up on
insert form tooling when they can be made so easily. Unless you find
yourself using a large number of a particular configuration, making your

own
is far better, both as a learning tool and for your wallet. It leaves the
money otherwise spent for those things that you can't make yourself. I
heartily endorse the use of HSS toolbits. They've served me very well

for
all of my machining career.

Harold