Bruce L. Bergman

Default What does welding gas cost..???

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 08:51:33 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:
To The Group wrote:

Just a curious question for the group.

Using the standard size bottles for acetylene and oxygen found in most
shops and garages what does a refil cost.

First of all, you need to understand what size the bottles come in:

Welding Cylinder Data

OXYGEN
Capacity Height Diameter Connection
K 244-251 51" 9" CGA-540
S 156 46" 7-3/8" CGA-540
M 125 47" 7" CGA-540
Q 92 30" 7-1/8" CGA-540
40 28" 6-3/4" CGA-540

ACETYLENE
#5 350 45" 12" CGA-510
#4 150 38" 8" CGA-510
#3 75 29" 7" CGA-510
60 CGA-510
B 35-40 24 6-1/4" Non-std CGA-520
MC 8-10 Non-std CGA-200

The charts I have say a "B" is 40CF, but the sticker on the bottle
says 35CF. Same with MC. Don't ask me why.

I believe that all of these sizes are used in home shops.

It all depends on what you're *doing* in your home shop - I don't
use my small cylinders too much, and there are some people doing
heavy-duty car restoration or blacksmithing who could have several
sets of the largest bottles (even the multiple manifolded bottles on a
cart) delivered weekly... ;-)

The MC stands for Motor Car, and was the replacement for carbide
generators for the headlights on Model T's and other turn-of-the-
last-century automobiles. Used now mainly for the "Tote-a-torch"
oxy-acetylene rigs for HVAC silver-brazing and other tiny jobs in
crawl spaces, attics, or on roofs, where portability is the prime
consideration - you can't cut or do heavy welding, the cylinders will
run dry if you look at them cross-eyed. (Plus you should only draw
1.1 CFH max, and that means 000 or 00 tips only, 0 is pushing it.)

The B is the standard Plumber's Torch - Prestolite Air/Acetylene
bottle. I have a B and 40CF setup myself - but with the big Victor
Journeyman regulators and torches (and small tips), so if I ever need
to rent a set of big tanks for a big job, I can.

Two of each, so I have full spares to make an end run around
Murphy's Law of Welding: Your last tank will run dry Saturday at 1:05
PM, the Welding Supply closed at 1:00, and Monday is a Holiday.

Now, to answer your question. In my area the prices for welding gasses vary
buy over 50% within a 20 mile radius, so if your money is worth more than your
time, it pays to shop around and drive for it. The last time I refilled I did
it at the close place, NOT the cheap place, and I paid:

(oxygen) M size: $23.73 ;; (acetylene) #3 size: $38.91
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Acetylene B $24.61 + $2.45 "Hazardous Materials Charge" (for exchange
cylinder inspection and misc cost recovery). Oxygen 40CF - $13.32

A lot of what you are paying for is the labor and handling of the
tanks, for both the filling and the periodic inspections and
hydro-testing. A little towards the occasional bad tank that needs to
be scrapped & replaced with a new one in the exchange pool. And a big
chunk for their liability insurance.

The gas itself is cheap. The other costs vary by supplier.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545