Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need wiring diagram for electric drill

dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I need a wiring diagram for ...variable-speed...reversible drill. ...
...I replaced the speed control ...has worked since, but not correctly
Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape. ...

If it runs and variable speed is functional, it isn't a simple wiring
problem. The spitzen-sparken and erratic running at low speed is
indicative of the brushes not fitting correctly. I'd hazard a guess
the combination of "cleaning" the commutator and perhaps turning the
brushes around or otherwise getting them mis-aligned is the primary
problem...

Then you'd guess wrong.

Reread my original post. The drill runs without *any* sparking at low
speeds. At medium speed it runs with the normal amount of sparking
expected from such a motor. The brushes are clean and fit the commutator
well. It only sparks at high speed.

At this point, my question is a simple one. I direct this to ANYONE WHO
ACTUALLY KNOWS THE ANSWER AND CAN GIVE IT MINUS A LECTURE ON LEARNING
BASIC ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES (which I do know):

Are drills like these wired with the field and armature in series (as it
is now) or in parallel? Simple question. (Sorry for shouting above!)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)