Posted to alt.home.repair
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline

Default Window condensation / sweats

Joseph Meehan wrote:
bowgus wrote:
wrote:
I live in less than a year old house with the latest energy efficient
windows.

For the 1st year, there will be excess humidity in the building
materials in the new house ... it'll likely calm down about in the 2nd
year ... that was my experience. In the meantime, if you don't have
power ventilation, you'll have to make do somehow ... crack a window
open maybe. In my case, the new house attached to the old house, so I
put an opening at the top of the adjoining wall letting that excess
humidity go into the dry, leaky old house next door ... an excellent
solution :-)

I find that true to some extent. Maybe not a year, but in this case the
owner has measured humidity at 30%. Of course it may not have been an
accurate measure.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

The colder an environment, the more noticable the mositure of new
construction. Ventilatiojn schems like an HRV will work overtime the
first winter after new construction in a cold climate. The next winter
they can over ventilate to the point people want to add humidifiers