Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Generac 7500

In article .com,
wrote:

I bought this generator a few weeks ago, used. It worked fine, but
stopped putting out any power. I contacted repair people, the local
repair facility only works on bigger units, but the man said it was
most likely the voltage regulator. Got the regulator on line and
installed it, I get power now. The 120v recepticles put out 50 v. and
the 220 put out approx. 120v. Any ideas, suggestions, referals? Thanks.

Ellombris-

I have downloaded some Generac manuals from
http://www.generac-portables.com including a couple 5500 watt units
(1314-0 and 9885-3). Both of these use the 83970, called a "System
Control Board".

The 83970 has a trim pot that sets voltage. Some models have the board
mounted with the trim pot next to a rubber plug on the left side of the
connector panel. If your model has this board, it might easily be
misadjusted. Try adjusting it for an initial value of 124 Volts output
with no load. A small adjustment can make a large difference in output!

There is also an 84132, called a "Power Regulator Board" on the diagram
and "Assembly, Drive Module, Power Regulator" on the parts list. This
module controls current to the rotating field. It has no adjustment
itself, but is driven by the System Control Board. Was that the module
you replaced?

If you study the problem further and still can't solve it, check out the
"Generators and Motors" forum at
http://www.smokstak.com.

Fred