Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sand and cement screed - how long to go off

Rick Hughes wrote:
"F" wrote in message
I've got a small cloakroom floor consisting of concrete blocks with an up
to 2" covering of sand and cement. How long do I have to wait before I can
drill and plug it to install a studded partition?

TIA.

Screed is a surface leveller not a structural layer - don't fix to it ...
fix through it to floor below.

Haha. That's like saying plasterboard isn't structural, or breeze block.

I can assure you that going through 4" of screed, 2 " of polystrene and
into precast concrete beams is not an option here..

The screed is FAIRLY structural.

Its a cheap gap filler, as its mainly sand, with enough cement to render
it fairly solid. How solid depends on how much cement of course.

Screed should have a week per inch of thickness .... if you want to go
quicker give it a soaking with water (it sets by chemical action not drying)

You can sprinkle the surface with a concrete hardener (easy availability)
give a very hard dust free surface if that is needed)

Paint it with dilute PVA.

Rely on the vertical fixing of stud partition for fixing, and just count on
anything to screed as a bonus - but don't rely on it for mechanical fixing.

You can,. if its deep enough and has more than a whiff of cement.