Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wiring from Programmable roomstat to remote temperature sensor

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 1 Dec 2006 09:30:43 -0800, Aidan wrote:

Screened twisted pair. Connect the screen to earth at one end only,
this is usually at the controller. There's usually only mA of current
involved with sensors, I don't know why 1 mm2 is needed.

Smallest cable that has mains rated insulation? I suspect that even the
"low voltage" side of the device is not fully isolated from the mains
thus any external cabling needs to be mains rated.

Donno if you can get mains rated screened twisted pair. Machine control
maybe?

Failing that, you can buy braided tubular sleaving (designed for
military and industrial screening applications). You could earth that at
one end and run the T&E down the middle of it.

See RS part number 244-5203 for an example (there are a range of sizes)

--
Cheers,

John.