Posted to rec.woodworking
Bubba Wood Bubba Wood is offline

Default Fixing a finish

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 00:20:57 GMT, "Juvenal"
wrote:

"Bubba Wood" wrote...

So my neighbor asks me to look at his kids desk to see if I know how
to fix it. He had a 10 gal aquarium on it for about a year with a
towel between the tank and the desk top. There are black spots and
streaks in the top where moisture was trapped.

The top is MDF core red oak veneer with what looks like about a 1/64"
thick veneer.

[...]

Oxalic acid bleach is usually used to remove black stains from oak.
Available at any hardware store.

Try stripping the finish, let dry, bleach with oxalic acid solution, let
dry, sand ever so gently by hand with 150 or 180, stain and finish.

Thanks everyone.
Looks like the Oxalic Acid bleach is the way to go. I know it is a
water based stain in oak.
This piece of furniture will not stand for much sanding, and since it
is a MDF veneer with a breadboard border of solid oak with a full
radius bullnose re covering is not an option.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Larry