Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need wiring diagram for electric drill

This is so simple, I feel kind of foolish posting it, but here goes:

I need a wiring diagram for my garden-variety 3/8" variable-speed
reversible drill. (It happens to be a Craftsman, but is the same as
hundreds of other similar tools.)

Years (decades, actually) ago I replaced the speed control which I got
from Sears. The drill has worked since, but not correctly, so evidently
I screwed up when I put it back together. I think I had to resolder some
wires to the reversing switch, which is where I think the problem is.

Here's the deal: it works, but not like it used to. At slow speeds, it
feels like it's "chugging" or cogging. No sparks from the brushes. At
medium speeds it runs a little smoother with minimal sparking, about
what you'd expect. At high speed, it runs with a lot of sparking, more
than it should.

The commutator is in good condition: I cleaned it and scraped out all
the built-up crap between the contact bars. Brushes are in good shape.
Field and armature coils are all good (tested with ohmmeter).

So I'd sure appreciate it if someone could post a (link to) a wiring
diagram for this tool. Like I said, any similar variable-speed
reversible consumer-quality drill will do.

Please resist the urge to post if you want to tell me

* to buy a new tool (this is my favorite drill)
* I ought to learn a whole lot more about electricity
* I should leave this kind of repair to "professionals"
* I should have noted the wiring when I first opened it up.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)