Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default ESR readings

a more detailed explanation, it will strike the lamp, and the lamp will have
a really dim arc. for a few seconds. then youll hear a small reeeeeek grunt
sound like weak capacitors would cause in a normal power supply, but after
that sound, the bulb snaps really bright and starts growing brighter like a
normal lamp.

So i went right to the capacitors, they all read near 1 ohm or a little over
for the 100uf rubycons. all my new ones read right at 0.

the main supply output filters read right near 0. so they are ok.

the rest is the mylar box caps. they are high enough value to be picked up
by the meter, none or are open or shorted so im assuming worn out
semiconductors from the heat. the astec supplys get really hot really fast.
the magnateks dont do that.

"Mike" wrote in message
most of the supplys work, but the boostup converter is REAL weak at
startup. they "grunt" before the bulb will start to grow brighter. normal
ones dont do that, and I changed the caps, still "grunts" so im assuming
worn out MOSFET in the boostup converter.

"Mike" wrote in message
Im working on infocus power supplys, is an ESR of 1 to 1.5 ohm alright
for 100uf caps at 25volts? they are in the primary circuit of a power
supply.