Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Is it worth a career change?

On 1 Dec 2006 11:23:54 -0800, wrote:

Never Enough Money

I'd love to open a Woodcrat store. Does anyone have any idea how much I
could take home? I know it depends on location, location, location, and
other things like the qulaity of help, etc. But are we talking $40K and
that's a struggle or $400K? What should be my expectations?

I echo the other sentiments here. If you really want to do this, you
should
have a good plan. Speak with a financial advisor and look at what it
would take to get things rolling.

I had the opportunity to buy a local furniture store. Guy has had the
business
for close to 35 years and wanted to retire. His take home was under
$50k a year.
And that's working 5 days 10 hrs a week. I had to think about all sorts
of
bills - inventory, fixing the building up, etc. I ran the numbers and
figured I couldn't make it
work. Be 2 or 3 years before I saw anything coming back.

This is really got to burn a hole in your soul to get involved with a
francise. There's
going to be money going out the door and long days/nights before you
can
get settled.

It's attractive to think to be own your own (I've got the same
background you do).
Perhaps you should think of contracting work in the high tech area?
Still a lot out there.

MJ Wallace

Yeah, I too agree with the others - it would be tough!
But MJ has a point. Today I heard a piece on NPR where some IT
*expert* was talking about the huge money that will be involved in
data recovery, emails, etc.
It sounds like your jobs got you down so maybe a change -within your
area of expertise- would be more practical and have more potential.

Good Luck!