studebaker hawk studebaker hawk is offline
Junior Member

Well now here's something to chew on, it occured to me to try running the input (from a VCR) through the RCA jacks for video and audio. Using these jacks and with the TV set to video (only one video option), the sound is fine but the screen is totally blue. I know the VCR's fine because I hooked it up to another TV and both sound and picture came through fine. Don't know why I didn't think to try that before!!!!

So here's the deal, short and sweet. When I run the VCR output through the antenna connection, the picture flickers abruptly in and out accompanied by the sharp, snapping sound through the audio. Run the input through the video and audio jacks and the sound is fine but no picture whatsoever, just a blue screen. Does this bring up any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by
studebaker hawk wrote:

Well I found out why I didn't have any sound or picture after I replaced
the flyback, I had a bad connection on a wire. Stupid me! But anyway,
I installed the new flyback and nothing has changed, same old flashing
of picture accompanied with the static noise at the same time. So
here's the scoop so far, the picture tube is ok (I removed the yoke and
of course no picture but still have the noise) as is the flyback.
Between flashes, actually I should say that I've probably incorrectly
described what I call a flash, actually it appears there's a voltage
drop whereupon the picture is lost, then regained. The picture and
sound appears normal between the voltage drops. There's no visible
arcing or signs of overheated components. The only component that gets
hot is a 4,000 ohm resistor in the high voltage section, but it's a big
one that's probably carrying quite a bit of juice. I cooled it down
with freon (yep, still have some R12 auto freon left!) and nothing
changed.

One fellow I talked to today mentioned something about a horizontal
driver transformer. Does this make any sense to you folks? If so, I'd
appreciate more details such as what does it look like, testing and so
on. And and all suggestions or suspicions as to th epossible problem
are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I cant offer anything specific, but there arent too many places EHT
occurs in a tv, so it should not be too tricky to monitor them and
divide it down to find whats going on.

Removing the anode cap from the tube and replacing with a suitable load
would take the crt out of the equation, so youd know if that was the
problem or not.

Monitoring all crt electrodes will tell you which line the Vdrop is on,
thus eliminating several more bits. etc

Should at least narrow things down further.

NT