Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Red Wire in Cileing light

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing all of my ceiling fixtures in my
house. I am currently replacing one in the hall, there is a white,
black, red and ground. The only way the light will work is on the black
and white but it can not be controlled by the switch. Any suggestions?

if the light was working when you disconnected it there are only two
combinations , unless it was miswired in the first place.

Black and white

Red and white

If you have a voltage tester of some sort that would help.

..
Forty plus postings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suggest this is waste of time; and possibly dangerous or non code?
Trying to advise someone who hasn't clue about how to wire what 'sounds
like' a simple single wall switch to one light, that was working before
the existing light was disconnected.
All this about the red wire being connected to ....................
etc. is not the way to UNDERSTAND and do a safe job. He/she may get it
working but will it be safe. Very worrying!
An electrician or even someone competent could probably sort that out
in less than half an hour even though there now seems to be no record
of what the connections previuosly were. Not making a note of them is
negligent IMHO.