Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Window condensation / sweats

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in less than a year old house with the latest energy efficient
windows. This is my first winter at this house. I see lots of
water/moisture around window, top to bottom, where they are literally
dripping to floor. I check other postings. I don't see any visible
leak (or at least I don't feel it). My wall clock which has humidity
level check is telling me it's at 30, so I think that's pretty low.
I'm keeping the house at 70 degrees and currently here at North Texas
the outside temperature is at above freezing (around 35??). All my
windows are like these. What can I do to get rid of this problem? I'm
contacting the home builder in mean time.

First, buy a reliable humidity meter. The component
in your wall clock is probably malfunctioning.

Secondly "the latest energy efficient windows" suggests
your new house is probably more airtight than you were
formerly used to.

Condensation occurs on a surface (e.g. window glass) when
it is cooler than the "dew point," the temperature at which
dissolved H2O vapor in the air turns to visible liquid water.
This can easily happen when it is freezing outside and
you have single-pane windows. Double glazing reduces
the likelihood of interior condensation but it can still happen,
depending on actual temperatures and humidities. You
may feel the benefit of a dehumidifier (but not if your
actual humidity were truly 30 per cent.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs