Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Preventing Freezing Laundry Pipes

On 30 Nov 2006 16:46:33 -0800, wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to finish my laundry room so
the water supply pipes for the washing machine won't freeze. Both the
hot and cold supply lines run across the bottom of the joists and then
down the basement wall. I believe there is only about an inch between
the pipes and the cement.

Should I try and stuff insulation behind and in front of the pipes
before putting up vapour barrier and drywall? Should I build a box
around the pipes, leaving them exposed to the room and insulate/drywall
the rest of the wall? I'm at a loss as the best way to protect the
pipes while minimizing the amount of cold air coming off the cement
into the room.

Thanks for the insights!

STart by wrapping the pipes in heat tape with a thermostat.
If whatever you do to the walls and pipes after that is
good enough, it won't run, but if it's not, the pipes
won't freeze anyway, until the power goes out.