Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Fitzsimmons Mark Fitzsimmons is offline

Default So what's for Christmas?

I made seven of them last night. They're all slightly different, of
course. It was pretty easy once I made the larger dia stock small
enough to fit deep down into my 3 jaw chuck so it only stuck out about
12". Jamming it up against the spindle helped keep it from wobbling I
think.

Made all the top parts first, forstner to make the recesses, then cut
the annulus to match. It needs to have a fair amount of slop, more than
the thickness of a pencil line, to take the mashed up paper without
ripping it when you jam it down. If it's too tight, the paper will rip
at the end and then it _will_ unroll! For the same reason, the bump in
the base has to be smaller than the mating recess, and rounded. It's
very forgiving, I just penciled the OD and eyeballed the ID.

wrote:
So are you saying, ( I think this is what Leo was saying ) that the
crimp on the top will keep the TOP edge from coming apart as well. I
can see the crimp doing its business on the bottom, but with the loose
layers on the top/opening, I am not understanding how they stay
together.

As long as the paper is wrapped more than one time around, it doesn't
come unwrapped once crimped. How could it? I took 8x11 sheets of
newsprint, folded in thirds the long way and they wrap around about 2
times, then fold the loose end over first so the rest of the folded
over parts help hold the paper in place. Works fine. Make one and
you'll see.