Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Is it worth a career change?

B A R R Y wrote:
One important point to remember is that in the end, Woodcraft is a
retail store. You'll be hiring, managing, and selling, not woodworking.
Retail is retail, regardless of what you're selling

I'd ask myself this question: If I take woodworking out of the
equation, would I still be enthuastic about the idea of opening a
retail business?

If you answer yes to that, then you'd really have to ask: What kinds of
retail businesses are likely to be sucessful?

I imagine that there are _many_ types of businesses that would come
before a woodworking store on that list.

I know that I'd love to spend my 8hrs. a day in a woodworking store.
I'd really like working with the people that I'd be likely to meet. And
it would be great to be a part of one of those really cool stores. In
other words, there are many 'emotional' reasons to want to do it, but
how many 'good business decision' reasons are there?

Sorry to be a kill-joy - I've spent my fair share of time daydreaming
about similar things.

Mike