Posted to rec.woodworking
Todd the wood junkie Todd the wood junkie is offline

Default Is it worth a career change?

Never Enough Money wrote:
I'm in my early 50's and have been a programmer, designer, and manger
of same for almost 30 years. I feel it's time for a change but still
have to pay a mortgage and 3 kids in college.

I'd love to open a Woodcrat store. Does anyone have any idea how much I
could take home? I know it depends on location, location, location, and
other things like the qulaity of help, etc. But are we talking $40K and
that's a struggle or $400K? What should be my expectations?

Save your money. Retail is a hard, hard way to make money. If you are
just looking for a change in what you do, try fine carpentry. Your
overhead is low, your rates are good, and your risk is substantially
less. If you have decent people skills, know who can afford your
rates, and know how to sell 'trust' then you will do ok.

After you have gained some experience, and possibly some associates,
take that down payment you were going to blow on a franchise, put it
down on an old house in a good area then flip it for profit. You won't
make a ton of money, but it's steady work, and you are in control.

My 2 pennies