Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Is it worth a career change?

Never Enough Money (in
) said:

| I'm in my early 50's and have been a programmer, designer, and
| manger of same for almost 30 years. I feel it's time for a change
| but still have to pay a mortgage and 3 kids in college.
|
| I'd love to open a Woodcrat store. Does anyone have any idea how
| much I could take home? I know it depends on location, location,
| location, and other things like the qulaity of help, etc. But are
| we talking $40K and that's a struggle or $400K? What should be my
| expectations?

There used to be a Woodcraft store down a block and across the street.
I gather that the entry fee is much closer to the $400K number than
$40K - and that the franchisee has very little control over what or
how much is stocked. It sounded to me as if deep pockets were a
definite requirement.

Even so, about a year ago the store was closed because the owner's
pockets weren't deep enough. I've missed it - the prices weren't
fantastic; but the store was convenient and the staff was savvy and
always helpful. Enough so that I've made an effort to keep in touch
with them since.

On the other hand, if you use the time while the kids are in school to
plan the next phase of your life, then (graduation) might be a good
time to make a well-planned change and open your own woodcraft (lower
case intentional) store - but I wouldn't expect the entry fee to be
small nor the net ROI to be very high.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar