Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y

Default Replace old fluorescent tube with brighter?

Victor Roberts wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:53:04 GMT, Alex
wrote:

My understanding of that other post was that older
electronic ballasts had some reliability problems and that
make him shy away from even the modern, more reliable ones.

indeed, but that does not imply that the new fitting will be more
reilable or as reilable as the old. On the whole it tends to be the
other way round. One only need think bathtub curve to see that. Then
theres the 2nd factor of a more price-aggressive market today. So its
no surprise new goods dont have anything like the life expectancy of
older kit.

As opposed to meow2222/NT I believe that we should try to
save energy whenever possible. Your one lamp fixture may
not save a lot of energy, but when multiplied by the number
of people making this decision, the impact can be large.

Maybe then you could explain to us how travelling out to get a new
fitting and putting it up will save more energy than the 7w the older
fitting would consume with a T12 tube. Or even more to the point, the
smaller amount of energy difference involved in using a T8 in an older
fitting.

Plus, I expect that when you see the cost of a triphosphor
version of your current lamp that alone will start you
looking at T8 systems.

The OP has a T8 compatible system already. The OP is not in America.

NT