Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Mortar dye

wrote:
...personally I wouldn't reccomend dye, because within 6 months it will

have gone away to leave natural mortar...it lasts slightly longer on walls
etc but on paving slabs it simply washes off, or goes green.

That hasn't been my experience of using Febtone Yellow in lime mortar
to repoint around windows - 1.5 winters later and it still looks just
as it should.

Admittedly none of mine is outside on horizonal surfaces.

Agree with you though, some degree of staining - with or without dye -
is pretty unavoidable.

A lot depends how sloppy the mortar is. Mortar dyes are dispersions of
oxide particles so they shouldn't wash out, any more than the sand does.