Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] natetchuk@yahoo.com is offline

Default Red Wire in Cileing light

I did connect as the old one was, the light did not turn on, when I
connect it to as most are the light will not turn off.

Sev wrote:
wrote:
The red wire is coming from a three switch box(wall installed) by the
front door - one for the entry, one for the porch light, one for a
light by the garage. The switch for the entry has the black power wire
and then a red wire into the ceiling box. The previous light was
connected to the Black wire and the red wire (granted it was an old
light) for the new fixture I connected the black to the black, the
white to the white - the light turned on but the switch would not turn
it on and off. when I connect the red to the white on the fixture the
light does not work at all.

Suggest you try connecting it as old one was- what made you decide not
to? Is there another switch controlling this light? If so, it needs
a switched hot, that's why it was connected to black and red. This is
common in hall (or staircase) fixtures, so they can be switched from
either end of hall.