DejaVU

Default 2nd day of Metal working class...grinding cutting tools

Harold & Susan Vordos scribed in
:

For those that aren't grinding their own tools, you can grind
almost anything that suits your fancy if you learn to grind proper
toolbits. Especially for guys like us, it makes absolutely no
sense to load up on insert form tooling when they can be made so
easily. Unless you find yourself using a large number of a
particular configuration, making your own is far better, both as a
learning tool and for your wallet. It leaves the money otherwise
spent for those things that you can't make yourself. I heartily
endorse the use of HSS toolbits. They've served me very well for
all of my machining career.

amen and amen Harold

give me a HSS blank (or bit of old file) and I'll make just about any
toolbit you can think up.
example of old file tooling
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe/ringt1.jpg
inside and outside threading for a camera filter adapter. 0.75mm
pitch threads

HSS grooving tool for same adapter. tip is about 35 thou wide
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe/ringt2.jpg
HSS if from a CNC leather cutting machine, thus the holes for the
original mounting. other end is the threading bit as above.

http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe/th01.jpg
HSS threading bit, which I 'invented' myself and then discovered had
been in use for decades. oh well, at least i'm on the right
track (-:

boring bar?
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe/qc15.jpg
no sweat. 3/8" hot rolled bar drilled for a 3/16" X center drill
(since shortened). square bar got it's corners knocked off in the 4
jaw when a job happened that needed a little more cleanrance.
quick, effective and easy.
this bar can actually take another bit that is 'square' and made from
a piece of ball race casing and then hand ground to shape. the bit
is about 9x4x4mm.

flycutter?
bit of HSS leather cutter blade in a 32mm thick steel disk, held in
the chuck
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe...tter/fly02.jpg
this one is flat topped and has cut steel flawlessly. only has side
and end rake.

planning to make a shell mill from a ball race casing 'real soon now'
I'll use the angle grinder with a 1.6mm cutoff disk to make the
teeth.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /