Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default How many hours will it take me to sand floorboards in standard size room?

Owain wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy" wrote
The dust will go everywhere, blank off all other rooms, you have been
warned.

That can't be stressed hard enough.
Don't think it won't happen to you!
Block round the doors as much as you can, that stuff gets everywhere. Remove
as much furniture as you can - and if there are any plants (especially
cacti) take them out before you start. Getting fine sawdust off those tiny
prickles is impossible.

Remove *all* furniture including the skirting and picture rail if possible.

Seal round the door with parcel tape including the keyhole.

If you have a back-boiler turn that off and seal similarly.

Shave head, and wrap body in clingfilm from navel to knees. There are
places you really, really don't want sawdust and it's probably worse for
women.

I have a large fan, a nice stainless steel 24" floor standing one, that on
'high' really makes a significant wind.

Cut a fan-sized hole in sheet of something, and attach it to an opened
window.
For me, this really worked very well.
With windows elsewhere in the house open, and the doors shut normally,
there is a really decent negative pressure inside the room when the fan
is on.

Personally, I don't use breathing masks.
I use 1*3m of hosepipe, connected to a Y adaptor, connected to 2*10m of
hosepipe.
Stick this in mouth, breath in through it, and out through nose.

The cling film suggestion is silly.
I use a large binbag.

Put earplugs in.
Put binbag on.
Put shielded goggles (the ones with silicone rubber all the way round)
on over the binbag.
Put ear defenders on.
Put hosepipe into mouth.
Put rubber band round your throat.

The fan spins down much faster than it once did, now I've been using it
to extract brick dust...

When you are finished for a while, beat yourself around the head to
dislodge any dust, in front of the extractor fan, then wait for the dust
to clear, and disrobe, shaking all clothes.

(this is not a good idea if the fan would blow the dust where it would
be a hazard.