Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Hints for choosing generator for new home Gen Interlock setup

Jack wrote:

Had a major electrical re-do of my house, and had the electrician
install a generator connection. I believe they are called "generator
interlock" systems. It is a standard setup, I can throw a switch in
the basement, then plug a generator in outside the house to power the
house in event of a power failure.

(save safety warnings.. I know to put generator outside not near door
or window, and I can't hook Gen up while still connected to municipal
power supply due to lockout system on inside panel, and I know enough
to not overload gen)

What should I look for in considering a generator. I am pretty much
settled on Honda, as in my experience they are just head an shoulders
above all others in reliability and noise. I am prepared to entertain
opposing points of view, but I am willing to pay a little more for a
good unit.

Honda is about the best for noise in the small portable generator
category, Yamaha has some units that are pretty comparable. In larger
units there are others that are very quiet as well. As for reliability,
there are other brands that are very reliable as well.

I don't need super-megawatts.. I will be happy to see that my home has
heater, hot water heater (powered venilation unit) and a few lights
and maybe a TV. I don't need to run the AC or electric stove.

Heat and HW are gas or oil? Got a well pump that needs power? 5 KW or so
will do pretty well for an average house without unusual loads.
Refrigerator, lights, TV, a burner on the stove for coffee and furnace
and well pump do pretty well with 5 KW. If you do some load management
like insuring the furnace and well pump aren't on at the same time you
can get by with less.

Could I get away with one of those tiny suitcase type units.. my
concern is that they seem to only have standard AC plugs on them, not
that special generator circular locking plug that goes into the outside
outlet.

The real small units are 120V only, a normal transfer switch / interlock
really needs a 240V feed. A small unit like a Honda EU2000i would handle
a refrigerator and a light plugged into it, but is unlikely to handle a
furnace or other larger loads.

Again, the more load management you are willing to do the smaller a
generator you can get away with. Nearly all of the typical large
household loads are ones that do not require full time power. The
refrigerator can readily go an hour without power while the furnace runs
for example. The well pump can go without power while you microwave
dinner.

Personal experiences or tips?

Ran a ~1,500 sq ft house with oil heat / HW, well pump, electric stove,
microwave, lights, TV, etc. for three days on a Generac 5 KW gas
portable generator. Baked stuff in the oven too. Other than the noise
and periodic refueling (which I did very carefully while running) it was
just fine. Changed the oil after that run.

Good online sources for info?

Perhaps alt.energy.homepower though that leans more towards conservation
and renewables. Still most folks off grid with renewable systems have a
regular gas generator as backup since renewables aren't 100% reliable,
so some expertise there.

Pete C.