Posted to alt.home.repair
Myrna Myrna is offline

Default Replacing a smoke alarm

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 27 Nov 2006 07:19:31 -0800, "Myrna" wrote:

Hi, Tim,

Thank you to you and everyone else for your answers and guidance.

I have no idea if my 3 detectors are wired together. When the one in
the kitchen sounds (if I broil, it always does), I have no idea if the
others are also sounding. Is there any way to tell this?

You mean you can't walk into another room, and listen there?

Over the
years, we have found many areas where the builder and his workers cut
corners. I would not be surprised if this is yet another of those
areas.

Myrna

AlarmArm wrote:
Hello Myrna,

All 3 should be replaced bacause of their age. As with all electronic
devices, smoke alarms degrade over time, and the failure rate increases
over time. Most manufacturers indicate that smoke alarms should be
replaced every ten years.

Best regards,

Tim

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

I am not stupid, like this response suggests. When the alarm is
sounding its ear-piercing wail and the meat is smoking, it hasn't been
convenient to run to another level of the house. If that makes me
stupid, so be it!